Rocky Start Up Instructions
Please read before using your grinder for the first time
Dear Coffee Connoisseur,
Congratulations on bringing the art of espresso to your home with your new Rancilio Rocky Grinder!
It is important to carefully read the enclosed instructions. Please retain your receipt for warranty purposes.
As we know, you are anxious to taste your first espresso or creamy cappuccino, so we have listed some tips on how to set the correct grind and the importance the correct grind plays in getting the perfect cup of coffee from your espresso machine!
It is normal to find traces of ground coffee in the hoppers as Rancilio test their grinders prior to dispatch.
Instructions for setting the grind on your Rocky Grinder
Numbers in brackets refer to Fig.3 of manufacturers manual.
The coffee grinder is tested by the manufacturer with an approximate grinding adjustment. It is recommended to re-adjust the grind according to your requirements and the kind of coffee to be used.
I would recommend that you trial the grinder at the setting 12. The aim is to get around 30ml of coffee extracted from your espresso machine in around 25-30 seconds. If the coffee pours out too quickly - adjust the grinder down a couple of notches (i.e 10) until you achieve a good extraction. The lower the number on the dial, the finer the grind.
Never press grinding adjustment button (4) when the machine is operating.
- Start up the motor using switch (2) and for SD (Self Dosing/Doserless) model also press button (3) (make sure the grinder burrs do not touch each other).
- Should the grinder burrs scrape against each other, immediately turn the machine off and turn the container 2 or 3 notches in the anticlockwise direction.
- Switch off the machine, open hopper (1), pour a small quantity of coffee beans into it and grind using switch (2) and for SD (Doserless) model also press button (3).
- Prepare a coffee, checking the delivery time, which should be between 25 and 30 seconds for best grinding.
- Check the coffee quality and taste. If your coffee is weak with no crema then the grind is too coarse, if the coffee is strong, dark and with no crema the grind is too fine. The correct grind should give you 30mls of coffee with a good crema. (crema is best achieved with freshly roasted coffee beans).
- If the coffee does not meet your requirements, adjust the grind by turning the container in a clockwise direction for a finer grind or anti-clockwise for a coarser grind. Before testing the adjusted grind run the grinder for 5 seconds and throw out this grind as it will be the previous grind inside the burrs. Repeat this operation until you get the desired quality of coffee.
- The grind does not need new adjustments when using the same kind of coffee. Changing the coffee adjustments may be required to achieve the desired quality.
- Please read the manufacturers use and maintenance instructions before using the machine.
Most importantly have fun and enjoy your coffee experience!